#71: Brian Langis; Brookfield Asset Management; Why The Modern Shareholder Activist Is Inferior To Cultural Activism
Oct 30th, 2019 by Eric Schleien
Happy day before Halloween! This is a very special episode of The Intelligent Investing Podcast. I bring Brian Langis back on the show to discuss Brookfield Asset Management which we have discussed before. We go into some of the slides from Brookfield Investor Day 2019 on both Brookfield Asset Management and also some of their subs such as Brookfield Business Partners. We discuss larger trends, low and negative interest rates, valuations, and culture.
We spend quite a while on the cultural activism going on at Brookfield Business Partners led by their COO, Denis Turcotte. I had the pleasure of meeting him at the Brookfield Investor Day and noticed he wasn't just giving lip service to culture but actually doing it and knew he didn't learn this from business school. Many of you don't know this but I have a 10 year background in transformational coaching and a 7 year background specifically on organizational culture- not just understanding it but actually empowering organizations to elevate it. Brookfield Business Partners is actually working with businesses to elevate culture not just talk about it and no surprise, profits go up!
Better Culture Equals Greater Profits
One of the things I have discussed with my colleagues John King and Scott Forgey is that greater culture equates to greater profits. John King is the inventor of Tribal Leadership which is the most cutting edge and leading cultural transformation technology on the planet. Scott Forgey is working with me on empowering organizations to elevate their culture, except we are focusing on public companies. When an organization goes from what is known as Stage 2 to Stage 4, profits go up by an average of 300% - 500%.
Relevant Links For This Episode
- Eric Schleien interviews John King on Tribal Leadership | Thrive Global
- Cultural Activism: A New Model For Activism | The Intelligent Investing Podcast
- Netflix, Sears, Tribal Leadership | The Intelligent Investing Podcast
- How To Keep Large Companies Innovative | The Intelligent Investing Podcast
- The Oaktree / Brookfield Transaction | The Intelligent Investing Podcast
- 2019 Brookfield Investor Day Slides | Brookfield Asset Management Investor Relations
- Getting Into The Weeds: Recap on Brookfield Asset Management | The Intelligent Investing Podcast
Connect With Eric Schleien
- Visit Eric Schleien’s Podcast
- Visit Eric Schleien’s Twitter
- Visit The Intelligent Investing Podcast’s Twitter
- Like The Intelligent Investing Podcast on Facebook
- Follow Eric Schleien on Facebook
- Visit Granite State Capital Management’s Website
- Follow Eric Schleien on Instagram